Sunday, January 29, 2006

Meme me! Me! Meme me!

TECHNOGNU

I have been tagged for a meme by Philip, but only because I complained. So, here goes:

Seven things to do before I die:
Visit New Zealand - but not on a Lord of the Rings tour, which would be unspeakably naff.
Win a major award for film editing - but not an Oscar, which would also be unspeakably naff and, in any case, is as much a lottery as anything else.
See England get to the top of the ICC Test Match rankings.
Pass my bloody driving test (third time coming up in March, fingers crossed).
Instil both self-confidence and a social conscience into Baby Gnu.
Learn some more languages. I fancy having a go at Hungarian, perhaps Europe's hardest language.
Make the world a better place (the bucket's over here, if you want it).

Seven things I cannot do:
Bowl a decent leg-break.
Disembark gracefully from a Routemaster bus (no longer relevant).
Bring myself to vote Tory, under any circumstance.
Open my eyes under water.
Get rid of this instinctive dislike I have of Australian men (even outside the context of cricket). With the obvious exception of Tim, naturally.
Stop myself from saying "fuck" when I drop something, even when within the hearing of Baby Gnu.
Decide whom to vote for if there's no Green candidate in my seat.

Seven things that attract me to my CD player:
The enormous volume control knob.
The built-in MiniDisc player.
The delicate orange glow of the backlight.
The pleasant teak finish on the speakers.
The fact that it's lightweight.
The way the light catches it at certain times in the morning.
The inexplicably aesthetic remote control.

Seven things I say:
Bollocks (especially when speaking to estate agents).
Scumbag (whenever Blair appears on TV).
We'll never retain the Ashes.
Fucking Tories.
Peasant (referring to almost anyone who does something which annoys me).
Jävlar, vad det regnar! (Swedish for "fuck, it's raining!").
Get out of my way (on Oxford Street).

Seven books I love:
Ulysses by James Joyce.
The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck.
The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien.
Anything by Italo Calvino (or go here if you don't speak Italian).
In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch (every editor should read it).
Labyrinths by Jorge Luís Borges.
Reasons to be Cheerful by Mark Steel.

Seven films I love:
Casablanca
The Third Man
LA Confidential
Fanny and Alexander
Chinatown
Fantasia
Whatever I happen to be working on at the moment.

Seven people to tag:
Oh, God, I don't know now. Everyone I read seems to have done this meme already. Even Noreen's done it. This is what comes of being at the back of the queue. Looks like it'll have to be The Moai next, and Brownie hasn't done it either. The rest can go to the bloggers at TMS 24/7.

4 Comments:

Blogger Philip said...

I don't know about Hungarian, but James Cameron (the Scottish journalist, not the other one) speaks highly of the challenges of Albanian: "a sort of tormented Turkish with heavy Slavic complications, by no means to be picked up overnight. It has, for one thing, an alphabet of thirty-six letters, with seven vowels and twenty-nine consonants. The words for Yes and No are po and yo, but that should lead no one to underestimate its intricacy. I very soon discovered, for example, that Albania does not, in its own tongue, call itself Albania at all, but "Shqiperi", which somehow struck me as unreasonable."

12:55 am  
Blogger Brownie said...

ah 'schipperke' dogs might be from there Philip.
Gnu darling I have done this meme, Norm infected me with it - I wanna surf the waves before I die (or maybe die doing it, or even before I paddle out far enough) - and I did not have the heart to pass it on to anyone else, because, within our BlogNation there is a 'school of thought' that memes are chain letters and should be ignored.
I'll give it a second go round just for you.

11:16 pm  
Blogger The Moai said...

OK, I'm on it, but I am not sure I can find another seven blogs that haven't done it already!

9:41 am  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

I was actually tagged by Coffee Lover before I complained to Philip. And I didn't even notice. Shame on me.

9:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home