Monday, October 31, 2005

Chomsky speaks

GNUS INTERNATIONAL

Speaking of America (and the Guardian), here's an interview with Noam Chomsky by Emma Brockes in said paper. Though brief, I feel it manages to expose some of both the strengths and the weaknesses of the man. Lenin, on the other hand, finds Brockes's interview shameful, as does Mark of Interbreeding and many others who leave comments.

For more on Emma Brockes, see here - and see also here for Mark's less flattering portrait.

(By the way, credit to Lenin for increasing my vocabulary by one word. Never heard of "anfractuous" before, but I'll try and slip it into conversation at the first opportunity.)

[UPDATE: Chomsky's pithy response to the article is here.]

[FURTHER UPDATE: This one won't lie down. Although a lot of the criticism of Brockes comes across as "you insulted my hero" posturing, Alexander Cockburn's article for CounterPunch is worth reading in terms of how not only Chomsky's views of the war against Serbia, but also those of other journalists, have been misrepresented by a media too keen on demonising the Serbs.]

[FURTHER FURTHER UPDATE: One month on, I discover I was wrong to praise this interview. Even the Guardian has virtually disowned it. Bugger. That'll teach me to believe what I read in the papers...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home