Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Six degrees of impossibility

TECHNOGNU

Gary the Coffee Lover has thrown down a challenge. He wants to do the Six Degrees of Separation thing to connect himself to liddle ol' me via bloggers who have actually met each other in the flesh.

He knows he has met Rob of Trial by Shorthand (whose blog I shall now investigate, as it looks worth a read). Rob has definitely met Tim Worstall, but the trail goes cold there, even though Tim has met loads of bloggers.

I'm sorry to spoil all the fun, chaps, but I am absolutely certain I have never met, in the flesh, anyone who has his or her own blog. Absolutely certain. Mrs Wildebeest doesn't even know I have one.

I think I met Danny Finkelstein once. I certainly knew someone who knew him. Also, my brother lives in Edinburgh, so he may well have met one of the multitude of Edinburgh-based bloggers (such as Devil's Kitchen, Tiny Judas, Arthur's Seat, Bookdrunk and several others). Unfortunately, my brother doesn't have a blog, but I can ask him to start one if it'll help. You'll have to wait until he's finished his Engineering finals, though.

The only people I mix with these days are film-makers and cricket fans. There's a couple of leads there. Good luck.

Perhaps there is a point to all this. Finkelstein's talk at the Adam Smith Institute suggested that blogs could have a direct impact on the behaviour of goverments and public figures, over and beyond the influence of the mainstream media. If I, unknown to anyone but my family and extremely close circle of friends, can influence any aspect of public life, then the power of the blog is handsome indeed. If only there were a way of proving it. It doesn't seem to have affected that blinking, condescending oaf, Andrew Slaughter. And Fungus the Bogeyman hasn't resigned yet.

Perhaps I should just get out more.

[EDIT: Just had a thought. I met Clive Soley once, and only once (in 1997). He has a blog. He won't remember me, but find someone who's met Clive Soley and bingo!]

[SECOND EDIT: If anyone wants to meet me in the flesh, I'll be at Lord's for the Sri Lanka Test, but only on the Saturday and Sunday.]

[THIRD EDIT: It's 'Wildebeest', not 'Wildebeast', Worstall...]

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim Worstall said...

Well, since I’ve met Danny Finkelstein that completes the loop. Assuming that Gary meant people, not people who also have blogs.

12:28 pm  
Blogger Simon Hodges said...

Does that mean its all over, and so soon!

12:30 pm  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

Perhaps Finkelstein should start a blog, since he seems so keen on them? Bit surprised he doesn't have one already. Perhaps he needs every waking moment to write his column for the Times.

12:32 pm  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

The Engineering reference is to my brother, an Engineering undergraduate at Napier University. He lives in Edinburgh and may have rubbed shoulders with Edinburgh-based bloggers (though almost certainly without realising it, so it probably wouldn't count, anyway).

I'm disappointed no one can make the Clive Soley connection.

8:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home