Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Norm's birthday game

TECHNOGNU

Norm of that blog (people always refer to him that way, don't they? This is what comes of naming your blog after yourself, Norm. No one can call me "Oscar of that blog". That would be silly. Anyway, I digress) has come up with a birthday game which is also a sort of Six Degrees of Separation game, except there aren't six degrees as such. Rather than make you click to read the rules, here they are, with a verbatim example from Norm:
OK, people, it's light fare here for a day or two. I leave you with this pointless game I just devised:

1. Take a book from your shelves with more than 200 pages.
2. Find some real person's name on page 200.
3. Find out his or her date of birth.
4. Find someone else born on the same day.
5. State a connection between this person and yourself.
[Repeat any step you may need to, if your first attempt fails.]

Here is the inaugural episode of this game, as played by me:
1. Jonathan Glover, Humanity...
2. On page 200, I find the name of JFK.
3. Born May 29 1917.
4. Also born on May 29 (1958): Annette Bening.
5. I well fancy her.
Postscript: It occurs to me after the event that Annette Bening has a presidential connection, so that's another way you could play it.
Fair enough, Norm, I well fancy Annette too, but I believe someone got there first. Maybe in the next life, eh?

Anyway, let's have a go:

1. Vocabolario della lingua italiana... No, that's just showing off, pick a different one. Here we go, Alan Bullock, Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives (still haven't finished it, I've had it for years).
2. Page 200: Trotsky! Brilliant!
3. Born October 26, 1879 (cor, seems like yesterday).
4. Also born on October 26: Hillary Rodham Clinton.
5. Er, well, actually I well fancy her, as it happens (and I am about to start reading her autobiography, which I understand contains more uses of the first-person pronoun than any other autobiography, at least on a mentions-per-page basis). Must be another connection between me and Hill. Apparently, she did once say: "I believe that a worthwhile life is defined by a kind of spiritual journey and a sense of obligation." Which I kind of believe, too.

(Via Brownie.)

10 Comments:

Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Trotsky and Hill sharing astrology is scary - was his life 'a spiritual journey'?
'more uses of the first-person': must be bad to beat bloody Lauren Bacall. I read her Me-Biog before it's recent re-working, and it was me me me - I don't think she actually referred to her children twice, and not by name.

1:38 am  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

Thinking about it, Hillary has a presidential connection, just like Annette! What are the odds, Norm, huh?

10:11 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

on p 200 of The Lonely Life, Bette Davis, Putnams, New York, 1962 - Anatole Litvak born May 10 as was John Wilkes Booth who connected with President Lincoln alright. I love this game.

1:19 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Bette Davis 1962 eh? I can raise you Mae West 1959, Goodness had Nothing To Do With It, Prentice-Hall publ.,p 200 mentions W.C.Fields whose birthday is January 29th the same as 25th US PRESIDENT William McKinley.

Dan Brown is gonna write a story based on the symbolism in this game, his working title
'TheDa BARaCode'.
HaHahaaaaaaa

1:32 pm  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

Crystal, May 10 is also the birthday shared by all the characters in the last film I watched, Identity.

Cor, it's enough to make you believe in God, isn't it?

3:10 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

I do believe that the totally cool John Cusack of that film, has some godlike qualities. he had them in Pushing Tin and Grosse Point Blank and ConAir. John Coolsack alright. May 10 would be TAURUS - that would have to be the Wildebeeste birthday, in he Chinese Year of The Ox. Woolly Bully.

11:28 am  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

May 10 would be TAURUS - that would have to be the Wildebeeste birthday, in he Chinese Year of The Ox. Woolly Bully.

It's a nice thought, Crystal, but I'm actually a Leo in the Year of the Monkey.

7:56 pm  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

Cheeky Lion, perhaps.

7:57 pm  
Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

I've suddenly gone right off Hillary.

10:29 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

'The Bennett-sponsored measure, outlaws a protester intimidating any person by burning the flag, lighting someone else's flag, or desecrating the flag on federal property.'

Gno Mr Gnu - I beg to disagree - Hill is still our girl. One cannot go about lighting someone else's flag.
I'm going to write to my MP to suggest we make our own flag laws more robust.

12:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home